Monday, July 28, 2008

Falcon Ridge Wrap Up

Now that I am clean, dry, fed and housed in a permanent structure with wi-fi, I can take a minute to breathe and re-cap my high and low lights from Falcon Ridge Folk Festival.

  • Smartest move: Stopping at Tractor Supply Comapny on my way to the fest for a raincoat and tall rain boots. 
  • Went by too fast: Playing my two songs on that big stage!
  • Made me cry: Dar Williams bringing out all the performers' kids on stage to see the audience holding up their cell phones and glo sticks while we all sang Iowa together. 
  • Made me want to quit playing music and just follow him around: Martin Sexton.
  • Best meal: It's a tie between the Garlique Chic Crepe from the Skinny Pancake and breakfast Friday morning: Eggs, sausage, French Toast with Fresh blueberries and Cabot Vermont Style Cottage Cheese. I miss it so much in Texas!
  • Necessary Accessory: Umbrella for sun and rain. 
  • My VIP ticket: Quart of West Virginia Moonshine.
  • Most heart pounding moment: Escaping from a collapsing festival tent, running through pounding rain and hail to my car, and getting every single thread of clothing soaked. 
  • Favorite folk-y moment: Getting trapped at the Focus tent in a downpour with about 10 other people. We sang every song about the sun we could think of until it stopped. In harmony. 
  • Made me want to make it big: All-access backstage pass.
  • Made me want to stay anonymous: (tie) 1. Meeting so many nice people in the audience and campground. 2. Looking absolutely terrible when I rolled out of my tent after 3 hours of sleep, and no one snapping my pic for Us Weekly.
  • New favorite people: All the other emerging artists. 
Ok, that's all I can think of for now. I really hope I can make it back next year!

5 comments:

Jude said...

Nice to meet and hear you play, Abi! Good luck with the most-wanted artist ....I think you've got a great shot at it! I was rooting for your CDs to find homes all weekend.

Jude (in the merch trailer)

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if it was a very memorable experience!

Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you and "emerging" with you! ;)

Hope to see you again sometime soon.

Joanna said...

Must know: what's so special about Cabot Vermont Style Cottage Cheese?

Abi Tapia said...

The Cabot Vermont Style is so creamy and it has those small curds, not like the chunky watery stuff you get most places. The closest thing we have in Austin is Breakstones. http://www.kraftfoods.com/breakstones/home.htm